Department of Physics
1925 N. 12th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19122
Phone: (215) 204-5442
Maria Iavarone received her PhD from the University of Napoli Federico II, Italy, in 1996. She was then a staff scientist at Argonne National Laboratory in the Materials Science Division from 2001-09. In 2010, she joined Temple University as Associate Professor in the Department of Physics. Her research mainly centers on two subjects: strongly correlated electron systems and mesoscopic systems with a focus on materials. Maria Iavarone published more than 75 papers in international journals and 1 patent.
- Strongly correlated electron systems
- Mesoscopic systems
- Scanning probe microscopy and spectroscopy
Honors & Awards
- 2009 Visiting Professor at University of Salerno, Italy (Award of the Italian Ministry of Science and Education)
- 1999 Maria Goeppert-Mayer Distinguished Scholar Award, Argonne National Laboratory
5 most relevant publications
- M. Iavarone, S. A. Moore, J. Fedor. S.T. Ciocys, G. Karapetrov, J. Pearson, V. Novosad, S.D. Bader, Visualizing Domain Wall Superconductivity and Reverse Domain Superconductivity, Nature Communications 5, 4766 (2014).
- L. Galletti, S. Charpentier, M. Iavarone, P. Lucignano, D. Massarotti, R. Arpaia, Y. Suzuki, K. Kadowaki, T. Bauch, A. Tagliacozzo, F. Tafuri, and F. Lombardi Influence of topological edge states on the properties of Al/Bi2Se3/Al, Phys. Rev. B 89, 134512 (2014).
- M. Iavarone, R. Di Capua, X. Zhang, M. Golalikhani, S.A. Moore, and G. Karapetrov, Evolution of the charge density wave state in CuxTiSe2, Phys. Rev. B 85, 155103 (2012).
- C. Malliakas, M. Iavarone, J. Fedor, and M. Kanatzidis, Coexistence and Coupling of two distinct Charge Density Waves in Sm2Te5, J. Am.Chem.Soc. 130 (11), 3310 (2008).
- M. Iavarone, G. Karapetrov, A.E. Koshelev, W.K.Kwok, G.W. Crabtree, D.G. Hinks, W.N. Kang, E.M. Choi, H.J. Kim, and S. I. Lee, Two-band superconductivity in MgB2, Phys. Rev. Lett 89, 1870021 (2002).