former member, Early Career Investigator Committee (2015-2016)
Departments of Physics
1925 N. 12th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19122
Phone: (215) 204-8342
Liping Yu is a research assistant professor in the “Center for the Computational Design of Functional Layered Materials” at Temple University. He received his Ph.D. in physics with a minor in mathematics from North Carolina State University in 2009. He did his three-year (2009-2012) postdoctoral training in the “Center for Inverse Design”, an Energy Frontier Research Center (EFRC) funded by DOE, at National Renewable Energy Laboratory. After that, he was research assistant professor in the Office of Vice Chancellor for Research and the Materials Science and Engineering program at the University of Colorado Boulder (2012-2014).
Dr. Yu’s primary research interests in theoretical and computational materials physics focus on materials design for electronic and energy applications. He is interested in (i) fundamental understanding and prediction of material properties using first principles methods of modern electronic-structure and defect theory, (ii) identification of structure-property relations and design principles that can guide experiment, and (iii) finding of the new materials with target properties optimized for a variety of applications such as electronics, magnetics, and energy conversation and storage. The materials classes of his interest include multi-functional oxides and oxide heterostructures, photovoltaic materials, energy storage materials, functional 2D materials, etc.
5 most relevant publications
- L. Yu, A. Zunger, A polarity-induced defect mechanism for conductivity and magnetism at polar–nonpolar oxide interfaces, Nature Communications 5, 5118 (2014)
- L. Yu, R. Kokenyesi, D. Keszler, A. Zunger, Inverse Design of High Absorption Thin‐Film Photovoltaic Materials, Advanced Energy Materials 3, 43-48 (2013)
- L .Yu, A. Zunger, Identification of Potential Photovoltaic Absorbers Based on First-Principles Spectroscopic Screening of Materials, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 068701 (2012)
- L. Yu, S. Lany, R. Kykyneshi, V. Jieratum, et al., “Iron chalcogenide photovoltaic absorbers”, Advanced Energy Materials 1, 748–753 (2011)
- L. Yu, V. Ranjan, MB Nardelli, J Bernholc, First-principles investigations of the dielectric properties of polypropylene/metal-oxide interfaces, Physical Review B 80, 165432 (2009)