Department of Chemistry
1901 N. 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19122
Phone: (215) 204-9696
Eric Borguet is a Professor of Chemistry at Temple University in Philadelphia, PA. He was born in Dublin, Ireland, where he spent his formative years. He attended college in France at the Université de Paris-Sud (XI-Orsay) where he studied chemistry and physics. He obtained his Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry at the University of Pennsylvania in 1993, under the mentorship of Professor Hai-Lung Dai where he investigated adsorption and intermolecular interactions on stepped metal surfaces. His post-doctoral training was completed at Columbia University in the group of Professor Kenneth Eisenthal where he carried out nonlinear optical studies of spectroscopy and ultrafast dynamics at liquid interfaces.
Chemical and physical processes at surfaces and interfaces are the principal focus of his ongoing research program at Temple University. His research activities have resulted in over 110 peer reviewed publications, as well as more than 190 invited talks and 200 contributed presentations.
Nanotechnology and Nanoscale Processes at Interfaces, Plasmonics, Nonlinear Optics, Ultrafast Dynamics, Environmental Chemistry, Nanomaterials, Sensors for Biological and Chemical Agents, Scanning Probe Microscopy.
Honors & Awards
- 2013 Visiting Professor, Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France
- 2012 Temple University CST Dean’s Distinguished Mentoring Award
- 2012 Visiting Professor, Hokkaido University, Japan
- 2010 American Physical Society, Fellow
- 2010-2013 Adjunct Professor, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
- 2009 American Chemical Society, Philadelphia Section Award
- 2007 U.S. Young Observer to 2007 IUPAC General Assembly
- 2007-2008 Visiting Fellow, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
- 1998-2002 NSF CAREER Award
5 most relevant publications
- Effect of interlayer spacing on the activity of layered manganese oxide bilayer catalyst for the oxygen evolution reaction, Kang, Qing; Vernisse, Loranne; Remsing,, Richard C.; Thenuwara, Akila C.; Shumlas, Samantha L.; McKendry, Ian G.; Klein, Michael L.; Borguet, Eric; Zdilla, Michael J.; and Strongin, Daniel R., JACS, (2017)
- Towards Graphyne Molecular Electronics, Zhihai Li, Manuel Smeu, Arnaud Rives, Valerie Maraval, Remi Chauvin, Mark A. Ratner and Eric Borguet, Nature Communications 6:6321 (2015)
- Seeing is Believing: Hot Electron Based Gold Nanoplasmonic Optical Hydrogen Sensor, Devika Sil, Kyle D.Gilroy, Aurelia Niaux, Abdelaziz Boulesbaa, Svetlana Neretina and Eric Borguet, ACS Nano 8 (8) 7755-7762 (2014)
- Interfacial solvent structure influences surface reactivity, Shalaka Dewan, Mohsen S. Yeganeh, and Eric Borguet, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 4, 1977–1982 (2013)
- Second Harmonic Generation Probing of Dopant Type and Density at the Si/SiO2 Interface, J.L. Fiore, V. Fomenko, D. Bodlaki and E. Borguet, Applied Physics Letters, 98, 041905 (2011)