Department of Chemistry
Beury Hall 246
1901 N. 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19122
Phone: (215) 204-7119
Daniel Strongin received his Ph.D in Physical Chemistry from the University of California at Berkeley in 1988. He was a Visiting Scientist at IBM - Almaden Research Center in 1988-1989. He Joined the faculty at Stony Brook University in 1989 as an Assistant Professor or Chemistry and moved to Temple University as an Associate professor in 1996. He became Full Professor in 2001.
The Strongin Group is interested in understanding the role that metal, metal oxide, and metal sulfide surfaces play in controlling chemistry in the environment and in potential technologial applications. With regard to the latter the photocatalytic behavior of metal oxides and sulfides are of particular interest in the context of sustainable energy sources. A goal in all cases is to understand the chemistry on a molecular-level. Of current interest are metal sulfides and metal oxides with size dimensions ranging down to a few nanometers and up to micron dimensions. A variety of techniques that include infrared spectroscopy, photoelectron spectroscopy, electron microscopy, probe force microscopy, X-ray absorption spectroscopy, X-ray scattering and diffraction, and a whole host of solution phase analytical techniques are used to investigate the chemistry.
Honors & Awards
- National Science Foundation Young Investigator Award (NYI)
5 most relevant publications
- Bhandari, N.; Reeder, R. J.; Strongin, D. R., Photoinduced Oxidation of Arsenite to Arsenate in the Presence of Goethite. Environmental Science & Technology 2012, 46, (15), 8044-8051
- Bhandari, N.; Reeder, R. J.; Strongin, D. R., Photoinduced oxidation of arsenite to arsenate on ferrihydrite. Environmental Science & Technology 2011, 45, (7), 2783-2789
- Michel, F. M.; Hosein, H.-A.; Hausner, D. B.; Debnath, S.; Parise, J. B.; Strongin, D. R., Reactivity of ferritin and the structure of ferritin-derived ferrihydrite. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, General Subjects 2010, 1800, (8), 871-885
- Murphy, R.; Strongin, D. R., Surface reactivity of pyrite and related sulfides. Surface Science Reports 2009, 64, (1), 1-45
- Michel F. M., Ehm, L., Antao, S.M., Lee, P.L., Strongin, D.R., Chupas, P.J., Liu, G., Schoonen, M.A.A., Phillips, B.L., Parise, J.B.: The structure of ferrihydrite, a nanocrystalline material. Science 2007, 316 (5832), 1726-1729